[LLVMdev] IMPORTANT: Test Your Changes Before Committing Them!!

Chris Lattner clattner at apple.com
Wed Jul 15 14:51:45 PDT 2009

On Jul 15, 2009, at 11:26 AM, Bill Wendling wrote:

> The tree has been broken since late last night. This is completely
> unacceptable!

Okay, okay, take a deep breath. :)

Yes, it is very very important to keep mainline stable.  We've had an
impressive and amazing num of improvements going in lately, and
testing is important.  I think that slowing down a bit today to let
the tree re-stabilize and the let the build bots keep up is useful.

> We have had check-ins which didn't even COMPILE! The

I'm not sure that this is true.  I believe that the change you're
referring to would work if you build a release-assert build, which is
probably what the contributor did.

In any case, please do test your changes before checking them in as
usual, :)

-Chris