[LLVMdev] please stabilize the trunk

Török Edwin edwintorok at gmail.com
Wed Jul 15 13:43:44 PDT 2009

On 2009-07-15 23:24, Dale Johannesen wrote:
> On Jul 15, 2009, at 11:52 AMPDT, Stuart Hastings wrote:
>

>> We've had a lot of churn in all the trunks (llvm, llvm-gcc, clang)
>> recently, and the testing buildbots have been failing repeatedly.
>>
>> I spoke with Chris this AM, and he suggested we have a "stabilization
>> day."  Please avoid large, destabilizing changes for about twenty-four
>> hours.  We would like for the testing bots to begin working again.
>>

> OK.
> I wonder if we might be able to automate the stabilization somewhat.
> I'm not at all sure this can be done without introducing worse
> problems that it solves, but here's some discussion fodder:
>
> Have the buildbots (or, probably better, one Master Buildbot) do auto-
> reversion when they see a new failure.  They would need to be able to
> detect bogus failures, such as temporary inability to connect to the
> svn server.
>
> Have checkins go to a branch, and have the buildbots automove them
> into mainline only after passing regression checks on the branch.
>
> If the procedures go wrong I can easily imagine the tree getting into
> a state where nobody knows what's in it very quickly, so we need to be
> careful...

I'm not too keen about seeing buildbots play with trunk ;)

How about starting simple, and just auto-tagging builds that work?
Could be done per OS/arch, and one global tag when all buildbots pass.

It would also be useful to have a SVN pre/post-commit hook display the
number of current buildbot failures,
as a reminder that trunk is broken.

Best regards,
--Edwin