[LLVMdev] ANTLR?

Richard Pennington rich at pennware.com
Sat Jul 11 14:20:36 PDT 2009

Chris Lattner wrote:
> On Jul 11, 2009, at 1:41 PM, Vikram S. Adve wrote:
>
>> Right, I understand that.  I was hoping there was such an
>> implementation using ANTLR since it looks like a fairly mature
>> project.
>
> Not that I'm aware of.
>
>> I'm not sure how stable or mature Elsa is (but comments to clarify
>> that would be appreciated.).  E.g., a quick scan of their Web page
>> shows the comment that they only have a partial type checker.  It
>> also says their template instantiation is incomplete.
>
> Elsa definitely has its share of problems, but it is the best answer
> if you don't want to use G++.
>
> -Chris

I'm not sure if it mature enough to meet your needs, but I've been
working on a fork of Elsa for a while now. Definitely a work in
progress. It is pretty much stock Elsa, except:

* It uses clang's file handling, preprocessor, and error reporting
mechanisms.
* It uses the LLVM back end for optimization and code generation.
* It handles just about all of C now and a bit of C++.
* The driver program is gcc-ish and supports many of the gcc command
line arguments.
* It can call all of the LLVM code generators out of the box.

I can't really characterize how much C++ it can do yet: I've been more
interested in getting it to work with LLVM and the clang bits. I know it
can parse a lot of C++. I'm missing support for code generation for some
of the C++ parts of the AST.

It is a part time project, so my progress hasn't been as fast as I'd
like. You DPJ project sound exactly like what I've been hoping to do
eventually with my project, except I'd also like to throw in
heterogeneous multiprocessing support.

http://ellcc.org

Most of the information, such as it is, is on the wiki:
http::/ellcc.org/wiki

-Rich