[LLVMdev] MAJOR API CHANGE: LLVMContext

Owen Anderson resistor at mac.com
Wed Jul 1 14:35:26 PDT 2009

On Jun 30, 2009, at 7:38 PM, Nicolas Geoffray wrote:

> That's awesome, thanks very much for working on this Owen. So if I
> understand correctly, there can be as many LLVMContext instances as we
> want? Or one module only has a single LLVMContext?

You can have as many modules per context as you wish, and as many
contexts as you wish.
Modules belonging to different contexts are essentially isolated from
each other.  You can't,
for now at least, link them together or anything.  It might be
possible in the future, but it will
be significantly heavier weight than linking two modules in the same
context.

> A similar question is: can I now delete constants created, after
> JIT-compiling a function's IR? I know we can already delete the body
> of
> the function, but not the constants the body needs. So can we do
> that now?

I'm honestly not sure, and this is not an explicit goal of the
LLVMContext work.  Patches are welcome, though. :-)

--Owen