[LLVMdev] uses of unwind lead to crashes

Duncan Sands baldrick at free.fr
Wed Jan 28 01:20:28 PST 2009

Hi John,

> I have what appears to be a bug in LLVM... I'm deeply hesitant to
> label it a bug, given my lack of experience with LLVM, but the
> behaviour of this fragment strongly suggests a bug.

this is a frequently asked question.  The LLVM code generators
currently do not support unwind.  As far as I know the only
back-end that supports it is the interpreter.  You may wonder
how llvm-gcc manages to support exception handling?  It calls
the unwind routine in the gcc library, which takes care of
unwinding the stack.  The LLVM exception *catching* stuff works
fine, but *throwing* (unwind) is trickier to get working which
is why no one did it yet.  I have a plan for implementing it,
but it is low on my list of priorities...

Ciao,

Duncan.