[LLVMdev] inline asm semantics: output constraint width smaller than input

Duncan Sands baldrick at free.fr
Tue Jan 27 11:42:56 PST 2009

Hi,

> If yes then this doesnt look all that bad or invasive at first sight (if
> the put_user() workaround can be expressed in a cleaner way), but in any
> case it would be nice to hear an LLVM person's opinion about roughly when
> this is going to be solved in LLVM itself.

one thing that seems to be clear to everyone except me is... what are the
semantics supposed to be?  [My understanding is that what is being discussed
is when you have an asm with a register as input and output, but with integer
types of different width for the input and output, but I saw some mention of
struct types in this thread...].  Presumably this is something obvious, but
it would be good to have someone spell it out in small words that even someone
like me can understand :)

Thanks,

Duncan.