[LLVMdev] -O4 limitations in llvm/llvm-gcc-4.2 2.5?

Jack Howarth howarth at bromo.med.uc.edu
Sat Jan 24 16:46:40 PST 2009

   I've had better luck compiling all of pymol 1.1r2 with
-O4 on darwin9. Everythink links and there appears to be
no regressions in the resulting code. I take it that LTO
in llvm 2.5 is still limited to dead code elimination,
correct? Will LTO ever be extended to inlining across
files as well as constant-folding and global data
allocation optimizations? Or does the reliance on gcc-4.2
as the front end prevent those sort of things from being
implemented outside of clang?
            Jack
ps Hopefully Snow Leopard will end up with llvm 2.5
for its llvm-gcc.