[LLVMdev] Using LLVM as cross-compiler to C

Dave Nadler Dave.Nadler at nadler.com
Wed Jan 21 15:40:19 PST 2009

Hi All - Newbie warning... I am developing for a target that does not have
a functioning C++ environment, and need to use C++. It was suggested that I
could use LLVM to compile to C (using llc -march=c), then run the resulting
C-code through the working C-cross-compilation tools. So, some newbie
questions:

(1) Is this crazy ?
(2) What happens to all the C++ RTL ? Is it statically linked as LLVM code,
then translated back into C ?
(3) Where does the LLVM RTL come from - newlib ? glibc ? other ?
(4) Is it manageable to create a small number of intrinsics to allow access
to the C runtime functions on the target, or is this difficult ? In the
mailing list archive I saw some unresolved question with warnings about
type conversions for someone trying this...

Thanks in advance for your advice,
Best Regards, Dave

Dave Nadler, USA East Coast voice (978) 263-0097,  drn at nadler.com, Skype
Dave.Nadler1