[LLVMdev] Memory Dependence Analysis

David Greene dag at cray.com
Fri Jan 16 13:08:36 PST 2009

On Friday 16 January 2009 14:23, Chris Lattner wrote:

> > Wojtek, what's the status of this patch?  Does it build against
> > HEAD?  Do you
> > plan to check it in any time soon?
>
> No idea here ;)

Sure.  :)

IIRC Wojtek is working on loop dependence, which of course is different
from memory def/use information as you note below.  Sorry for mixing up terms.

> > We're in the middle of upgrading to 2.4 here and I see that
> > MemoryDependenceAnalysis has changed a bit.  What are the major
> > changes here?
>
> MemoryDependenceAnalysis does *memory* def/use analysis (what store
> does a load depend on), but does not do *loop dependence* analysis.  I
> assume you're interested in the dependence analysis, not really just
> def/use of memory.

Eventually we want both.  In the near-term, I just need memory dependence.
We're doing multiple different things and thus need different analyses.

                                            -Dave