[LLVMdev] Possible bug in the ARM backend?

Evan Cheng evan.cheng at apple.com
Fri Jan 9 11:37:30 PST 2009

This looks like a bar in ARMInstrInfo.td:

BX_RET should be marked with Uses = [LR] since it uses LR. However,
this won't work if there is a call BL before the BX_RET. BL is marked
as if it implicitly define LR. So we'll end up with this (hello world
example):

Live Ins: %LR %R7
         %SP<def> = SUBri %SP<kill>, 8, 14, %reg0, %reg0
         STR %LR<kill>, %SP, %reg0, 4, 14, %reg0
         STR %R7<kill>, %SP, %reg0, 0, 14, %reg0
         %R7<def> = MOVr %SP, 14, %reg0, %reg0
         %R0<def> = LDR <cp#0>, %reg0, 0, 14, %reg0, Mem:LD(4,4)
[<unknown> + 0]
         BL <ga:puts>, %R0<kill>, %R0<imp-def,dead>, %R1<imp-
def,dead>, %R2<imp-def,dead>, %R3<imp-def,dead>, %R12<imp-def,dead>,
%LR<imp-def>, %D0<imp-def,dead>, %D1<imp-def,de\
ad>, %D2<imp-def,dead>, %D3<imp-def,dead>, %D4<imp-def,dead>, %D5<imp-
def,dead>, %D6<imp-def,dead>, %D7<imp-def,dead>, %CPSR<imp-def,dead>
         %R0<def> = MOVi 0, 14, %reg0, %reg0
         %R7<def> = LDR %SP, %reg0, 0, 14, %reg0
         %LR<def> = LDR %SP, %reg0, 4, 14, %reg0
	%SP<def> = ADDri %SP<kill>, 8, 14, %reg0, %reg0
         BX_RET 14, %reg0, %R0<imp-use,kill>, %LR<imp-use,kill>

The LR defined by BL is not killed before the PEI inserted LR restore.
The register scavenger doesn't like this.

The issue is while BL does modifies LR, it doesn't actually defines LR
so later instructions can use it. I'll think about how to fix this.
It's not obvious to me at this point.

Evan