[LLVMdev] Creating an LLVM Project

Martin Geisse mgeisse at gmx.net
Sat Jan 3 10:20:14 PST 2009

Hello,

I just tried to work through the "Creating an LLVM Project" tutorial
and have some suggestions to improve that page (http://www.llvm.org/
docs/Projects.html).

1. The tutorial says "remove all the directories named .svn ("Create
a Project from the Sample Project", step 2), so here's a command to
copy-and-paste and run from within the new project directory:

find -f . \( -name .svn -and -print -and -exec rm -rf {} \; -and -
prune \)

2. The line

AutoRegen.sh

("Create a Project from the Sample Project", step 5) should be
changed to

./AutoRegen.sh

so it will work if . is not in the path.

3. In "Create a Project from the Sample Project", step 6 the
arguments are used to "tell your project where the LLVM source/object
tree is located. The tutorial doesn't really give a good hint which
directory is meant. For example, the source is located partly in the
lib/ and partly in the tools/ subdirectory of the main llvm
directory. It might also refer to the main llvm directory, but the
simple fact that the source and object directories - which are both
within the main llvm directory -- must be specified separately
suggests that this is not the case. In general, it left me (and
probably others) clueless which path to specify.

4. The same step says "run configure in the directory in which you
want to place object code". Again this left me a bit clueless, but it
seems that running configure from any other directory than the one it
is located in will place generated makefiles where they don't belong.
(These generated makefiles would try to include other makefiles that
are always in the same directory as the configure script)

Anyway, I cannot follow the "autoconf" way any more because I'm using
an outdated aclocal version and cannot exclude this as the reason for
the remaining problems I'm experiencing, so I will go on writing a
custom makefile, but these suggestions should help newcomers a bit.

Greetings,
Martin Geisse