[LLVMdev] Question about documentation of BitCast CExps.

Nick Lewycky nicholas at mxc.ca
Sat Feb 28 09:39:23 PST 2009

Jesper Louis Andersen wrote:
> In the documentation at [http://llvm.org/docs/LangRef.html], we have
> the section [#aggregateconstants] telling us that the aggregate
> constants are:
>
>   * Structure constants
>   * Array constants
>   * Vector constants
>   * Zeroinitialization
>
> However, in [#constantexprs] we have a bitcast(CST, TYPE) operator
> with the documentation (emphasis by me):
>
> Convert a constant, CST, to another TYPE. The size of CST and TYPE
> must be identical (same number of bits). The conversion is done as if
> the CST value was stored to memory and read back as TYPE. In other
> words, no bits change with this operator, just the type. {{{This can
> be used for conversion of vector types to any other type, as long as
> they have the same bit width}}}. For pointers it is only valid to cast
> to another pointer type. {{{It is not valid to bitcast to or from an
> aggregate type.}}}

Thanks for the report. I've updated this text to read:

"Convert a constant, CST, to another TYPE. The size of CST and TYPE must
be identical (same number of bits). The conversion is done as if the CST
value was stored to memory and read back as TYPE. In other words, no
bits change with this operator, just the type.  This can be used for
conversion of aggregate types to any aggregate type, as long as they
have the same bit width. Vector types may also be casted to and from any
other type as long as they have the same bit width. For pointers it is
only valid to cast to another pointer type."

This should make it clear that aggregates may be bitcasted to other
aggregates, and that additionally vectors may be bitcasted to and from
other types, but not pointers or labels or functions or void, because
those will never have the same width as a vector (tricky!).

Nick