[LLVMdev] RFC: Bugpoint Patch

Dale Johannesen dalej at apple.com
Wed Feb 25 18:01:55 PST 2009

On Feb 25, 2009, at 4:59 PMPST, Bill Wendling wrote:

> I'm running into a problem where I need to have the "gcc" that's
> executed by "bugpoint" take certain arguments that aren't applicable
> to "llc". So, I came up with this patch, that adds a new flag
> "-gcc-tool-args". It's similar to "-tool-args" but passes the command
> line arguments to gcc instead of to llc.
>
> Comments?

I like the new flag but I'm not sure changing that test is the right
way to fix this failure.  There is nothing inherent in that test that
requires it to be compiled 32-bit; it ought to work in environments
where llvm and the host compiler both target 64-bit (and I think it
does).  I think if you're going to change the test you need to add
"target" lines to the test to force it to be compiled 32-bit.

The real problem is the llvm you're testing is out of sync with the
host compiler (for those following along at home, gcc defaults to 64-
bit codegen in the environment Bill is testing).  I think a better
approach is to  build llvm in such a way that it matches the host
compiler.  Of course that will expose other bugs....