[LLVMdev] Parametric polymorphism

Jon Harrop jon at ffconsultancy.com
Wed Feb 18 13:53:59 PST 2009

On Wednesday 18 February 2009 21:27:21 DeLesley Hutchins wrote:
> Try implementing a generic complex number class in Java, and watch the
> two-order-of-magnitude drop in performance on scientific code.

Amen. I haven't proven it with a working HLVM yet but I believe LLVM will make
it possible (even easy?) to generate extremely performant code from heavily
abstracted high-level source.

Complex numbers are a great example where the JVM is terrible and .NET is much
better but still many times slower than necessary.

http://www.ffconsultancy.com/?e