[LLVMdev] 16bit loads being promoted to 32bit?

Villmow, Micah Micah.Villmow at amd.com
Fri Feb 13 09:21:50 PST 2009

Eli,
 Thanks that worked. ;)

Micah

-----Original Message-----
From: llvmdev-bounces at cs.uiuc.edu [mailto:llvmdev-bounces at cs.uiuc.edu]
On Behalf Of Eli Friedman
Sent: Thursday, February 12, 2009 5:52 PM
To: LLVM Developers Mailing List
Subject: Re: [LLVMdev] 16bit loads being promoted to 32bit?

On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 4:53 PM, Villmow, Micah <Micah.Villmow at amd.com>
wrote:
> The
> problem that I am having is somewhere along the line the 16bit load is
being
> promoted to a 32bit load

For the given testcase, that's clearly illegal.  Either there's a
serious bug in LLVM, or you're misinterpreting the meaning of the DAG.
 Are you sure you aren't seeing a sign-extending load?  If you don't
want to bother supporting extending loads, you can use
setLoadExtAction to make Legalize take care of it.

> 1)       I'm limited to 32bit aligned loads and llvm is assuming a
> 16bit/8bit alignment

You shouldn't be seeing any unaligned loads post-Legalize unless you
explicitly ask for them by setting  allowUnalignedMemoryAccesses to
true.

-Eli