[LLVMdev] overflow + saturation stuff

Chris Lattner clattner at apple.com
Sun Feb 8 11:25:43 PST 2009

On Feb 7, 2009, at 7:53 PM, John Regehr wrote:

> Sounds ambitious!  A comprehensive, efficient trapv would be
> excellent.
> gcc's implementation seems quite incomplete, for example it fails to
> trap
> overflows in the constant folder.

GCC's implementation has a huge number of problems, and I really don't
think that implementing trapv in llvm-gcc would fare much better (fold
mangles trees severely).  Clang preserves and hands full unmangled
source-level ASTs to codegen, so codegen could handle this properly.

That said, I don't know of anyone interested in implementing this in
the short term.

-Chris