[LLVMdev] overflow + saturation stuff

Gordon Henriksen gordonhenriksen at me.com
Sun Feb 8 05:41:23 PST 2009

On 2009-02-08, at 05:59, Jonas Maebe wrote:

> The proposal suggests to change/split the existing sub/add/mul
> opcodes. This makes me wonder to what extent it is (currently, or
> ever) advisable for an external compiler to generate LLVM IR. Is
> there a plan to stabilise at some point and guarantee backwards
> compatibility to a certain extent, or should compilers that are not
> integrated in the LLVM infrastructure always target one particular
> release of LLVM?

LLVM does guarantee backwards compatibility with compiled bitcode. The
C++ interfaces are not frozen, so you may need to upgrade code
targeting LLVM when upgrading; reasonable efforts are made to avoid
making this process painful. Of course, what code is contributed to
the project will be maintained through these changes.

— Gordon