[LLVMdev] rol/ror llvm instruction set

Kasra kasra_n500 at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 3 14:28:17 PST 2009

Hi,

I was looking around the LLVM instruction set and I failed to find ROL and ROR instructions. Is there any plans on adding these instructions to LLVM?

The reason that I am asking is for cryptographical algorithms which are becoming ever more important rotation is a major operation. Thus including such instruction could reduce 3 instructions {shl, shr, or} into {rol | ror} which could gain considerable performance. However, the increased performance is not confined within crypto algorithms.

-- Kasra