[LLVMdev] Questions of instruction target description of MSP430

Arnaud Allard de Grandmaison Arnaud.AllardDeGrandMaison at dibcom.com
Sat Dec 19 02:48:57 PST 2009

Hi,

1. This instruction is not selected automatically by the instruction selector. The instruction combine / select stages insert registercopies,  and they are expanded later on by the copyRegToReg() function provided by the MSP430InstrInfo to this MOV16rr.

2. ReMaterializable means there is no need to find a way to preserve the value in a register : the instruction can be just be reissued whenever the value is needed. This remove some pressure on register alloc, and avoid unnecessary spilling.

3. It says that beside doing an add, it also affects (implicitly) the condition codes. This enables to link this node to a following conditional  instruction, using the condition codes. It is important that those 2 nodes stay stitched together to ensure the condition codes are not clobbered by another instruction, for example during instruction scheduling.

Best regards,
--
Arnaud de Grandmaison