[LLVMdev] Early-clobber constraint in TableGen

David Greene dag at cray.com
Tue Dec 15 17:08:55 PST 2009

On Tuesday 15 December 2009 18:01, Jim Grosbach wrote:

> For a usage example, I've included in the patch the modification to
> use the constraint for the STREX ARM instruction.

Your example is:

constraints = "@early $success"

Why not spell it as:

constraints = "$success != $src", "$success != $ptr"

The grammar would change to something like:

constraint: operand '!=' operand
  | operand '=' operand

This seems more intuitive and more generally applicable.  I could see a use
for this in other architectures.  From reading your example, without the
background I wouldn't know what "@early" means.

It may be slightly more difficult to code up for TableGen but in the long
term it's worth it.

                            -Dave