[LLVMdev] Debugging a NULL return from the ExecutionEngine

Michael Muller mmuller at enduden.com
Sat Dec 12 08:57:11 PST 2009

Reid Kleckner wrote:
> Also note that there is a third optional std::string* argument which
> if non-NULL gets set to an appropriate error message.

Cool, thanks.  I wasn't sure how to work that :-)

> Reid
>
> 2009/12/12 Török Edwin <edwintorok at gmail.com>:
> > On 2009-12-12 18:19, Michael Muller wrote:
> >> Hi all, I'm trying to upgrade from LLVM 2.5 -> 2.6, and when I create my
> >> execution engine (ExecutionEngine::create(module)) I get back a null.
> >>
> >> What's the easiest way for me to find out what went wrong?
> >>

> > You probably didn't call InitializeNativeTarget and ended up with no JIT
> > support.

Nope.  Did that.  It looks like native support wasn't getting registered,
though, which is odd because I thought InitializeNativeTarget() would take
care of that.  Including <llvm/ExecutionEngine/JIT.h> fixes it.

> > Best regards,
> > --Edwin

michaelMuller = mmuller at enduden.com | http://www.mindhog.net/~mmuller
In this book it is spoken of the Sephiroth, and the Paths, of Spirits and
Conjurations; of Gods, Spheres, Planes and many other things which may or
may not exist.  It is immaterial whether they exist or not.  By doing
certain things certain results follow. - Aleister Crowley