[LLVMdev] SplitVecRes with SIGN_EXTEND_INREG unsupported

Villmow, Micah Micah.Villmow at amd.com
Thu Dec 10 12:46:20 PST 2009

Eli,
 I have a simple SplitVecRes function that implements what you mentioned, splitting the LHS just as in BinaryOp, but passing through the RHS. The problem is that the second operand is MVT::Other, but when casted to an VTSDNode reveals that it is a vector length of the same size as the LHS SDValue. This causes a split on the LHS side to work correctly, but then it fails instruction selection because of Other. I have not been able to figure out how to split the MVT::Other node yet, any idea how to do this?

Instruction selection fails because it cannot match the pattern:
v4i8 = sign_extend_inreg <v4i8 node>, <Other node(v8i8 VTSDNode)>

The reason being my initial implementation based on the advice given takes as input:
v8i8 = sign_extend_inreg <v8i8 node>, <Other node(v8i8 VTSDNode)>
and generates two:
v4i8 = sign_extend_inreg <v4i8 node>, <Other node(v8i8 VTSDNode)>

Instead it should generate:
v4i8 = sign_extend_inreg <v4i8 node>, <Other node(v4i8 VTSDNode)>

So, how would I be able to split the Other node so that it will match the resulting data type?

My function looks like this:
void DAGTypeLegalizer::SplitVecRes_SIGN_EXTEND_INREG(SDNode *N, SDValue &Lo,
                                         SDValue &Hi) {
  SDValue LHSLo, LHSHi;
  GetSplitVector(N->getOperand(0), LHSLo, LHSHi);
  SDValue RHS = N->getOperand(1);
  DebugLoc dl = N->getDebugLoc();

  Lo = DAG.getNode(N->getOpcode(), dl, LHSLo.getValueType(), LHSLo, RHS);
  Hi = DAG.getNode(N->getOpcode(), dl, LHSHi.getValueType(), LHSHi, RHS);
}
Thanks,
Micah