[LLVMdev] thumb2 has divide instructions

Jim Grosbach grosbach at apple.com
Tue Dec 1 12:35:56 PST 2009

Ah, ok. I was comparing v7-A and v7-R only. The M3 is described in
separate documentation (mostly since it lacks the ARM mode
instructions, I suspect). In any case, as far as I can tell, not all
v7 processors support the hardware divide instructions.

It's definitely desirable to support them for processors which do have
them, but they need to be conditionalized such that they're only used
when they're available. The instruction predicates are the best way to
do that. For now, I would suggest adding a predicate such as
"HasThumb2HardwareDivide" and hooking it up to a command line option
to enable (see UseNEONFP in ARMSubTarget.cpp for an example of how to
do that). You can then auto-enable it when the CPU string is "cortex-
m3", as is done for the UseNEONFP option on the A8 (see the bottom of
the ARMSubtarget::ARMSubtarget() constructor in ARMSubTarget.cpp).

Thanks for looking at this!

-Jim