[LLVMdev] A create-distinct-item function with no (other) side effects

Nick Lewycky nlewycky at google.com
Fri Aug 28 13:47:36 PDT 2009

2009/8/28 Kenneth Uildriks <kennethuil at gmail.com>

> Suppose I have some LLVM assembly like this:
>
> declare i8* @CreateDistinctItem() nounwind
>
> declare void @dumpBoolean(i1 %val)
>
> define i32 @main()
> {
>  %var1 = call i8* CreateDistinctItem()
>  %var2 = call i8* CreateDistinctItem()
>  %isEqual = icmp eq i8* %val1, %val2
>  call void @dumpBoolean(i1 %isEqual)
>  ret i32 0
> }
>
> So far so good.  But if I take out the "call @dumpBoolean", the
> optimizer still leaves me with two calls to CreateDistinctItem,
> because it assumes that CreateDistinctItem might have side-effects.
>
> Now if I add the "readonly" flag to CreateDistinctItem and put back
> the "call @dumpBoolean", the optimizer now assumes that
> CreateDistinctItem always returns the *same* item, and optimizes the
> whole body of main down to:
>
> define i32 @main()
> {
>  tail call void @dumpBoolean(i1 true)
>  ret i32 0
> }
>
> which is totally wrong.
>
> This is by design, of course, (CreateDistinctItem does not return the
> same value given the same caller-visible global state) but I see no
> way to declare a function that:
>
> 1. Returns a distinct item each time it's called,

Attach a 'noalias' attribute to the return type in your function
declaration. See http://llvm.org/docs/LangRef.html#paramattrs

> 2. Doesn't need to be called at all if its return value from that call
> isn't used, and
> 3. Doesn't even need to be declared if its return value is *never* used.

Thus far these still need a custom pass. It shouldn't be too hard though.
See http://wiki.llvm.org/HowTo:_Find_all_call_sites_of_a_function

You're the second user I know of to ask for this. We should probably come up
with a general solution of some sort.

Nick