[LLVMdev] LLVMContext: Suggestions for API Changes

Dan Gohman gohman at apple.com
Sun Aug 23 16:53:29 PDT 2009

On Aug 23, 2009, at 4:29 PM, Albert Graef <Dr.Graef at t-online.de> wrote:

> One thing I noticed is that writing LLVM assembler code (print()
> methods) seems to be horribly slow now (some 4-5 times slower than in
> LLVM 2.5). This is a real bummer for me, since Pure's batch compiler
> uses those methods to produce output code which then gets fed into
> llvmc.
>
> Is this a known problem?

Are you printing to stderr or errs()? If so, be aware that it's no
longer buffered, so it isn't well suited for bulk output.  Stdout and
normal file output are still buffered though.

Otherwise, no.  Can you describe how you're doing the printing, and
anything else that might be relevant?

> Will it be fixed until the 2.6 release

It depends on the specifics. Output file performance is important.

Dan