[LLVMdev] Error with apple's linker

Nicolas Geoffray nicolas.geoffray at lip6.fr
Tue Aug 11 01:12:39 PDT 2009

Hi all,

I'm having an issue with the ld linker on MacOSX (10.5). I have
generated a large .s file with llc and the relocation-model=pic
argument. When I ask the linker to create the .dylib file, I get this error:

ld: double split seg info for same address
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

The generated .s file for Linux works fine with Linux's ld linker. If
anyone has an idea of what's happening with apple's ld, I'd be happy to
hear it.

Here's the full context:
With VMKit's compiler, I create a .bc file of the standard Java library.
I then run the -std-compile-opts optimizations, so the .bc file passes
verification. I generate the .s file with the following command line:

llc -relocation-model=pic -disable-fp-elim myfile.bc

Finally, I use LLVM's Makefile machinery to create a .dylib file from
the .s file.

Cheers,
Nicolas