[LLVMdev] modify cmakefiles to set the default triple of msvc and mingw to i686-pc-mingw

Óscar Fuentes ofv at wanadoo.es
Sun Aug 9 13:04:22 PDT 2009

Eli Friedman <eli.friedman at gmail.com> writes:

> On Sun, Aug 9, 2009 at 10:03 AM, Óscar Fuentes<ofv at wanadoo.es> wrote:
>> I think most LLVM users on Windows are interested on X86 only. This
>> saves a lot of time on the build process and creates smaller
>> executables. Anyways, it they want all targets, it is simply a matter of
>> passing -DLLVM_TARGETS_TO_BUILD=all on the cmake command line.
>
> I don't see any reason why that argument applies to people building
> with MSVC, but not people on other platforms.

It is important to make a distinction between LLVM users and
developers. AFAIK, almost no developers work on msvc, hence most people
building LLVM on msvc are users who want to produce code for their
native platform, while the developers are interested on a full
build. Another reason is that by limiting the build to X86, there is a
smaller probability of a build failure with a toolset which is not
checked on a day-by-day basis, as msvc is.

--
Óscar