[LLVMdev] Outputting hex in DOUT's

David Greene dag at cray.com
Tue Aug 4 16:35:14 PDT 2009

On Tuesday 04 August 2009 18:24, Chris Lattner wrote:

> The big issue is things like this:
>
>    DOUT << foo.getName() << "\n";
>
> When -debug is disable and even when assertions are turned off,
> foo.getName() is still called.  When you use:

Yep, that's a problem.

> DEBUG(errs() << foo.getName() << "\n");
>
> When assertions are turned off, the call doesn't exist.  It is also a
> lot less "magic".

Why doesn't

DEBUG(DOUT << foo.getName() << "\n");

work?  That's how I've always done it.  A bit redundant perhaps, but it works.

In any event, errs() is probably nicer.  I'll have to see if I can do some of
the tricks I did with DOUT in these patches.  I think so, but I may be asking
questions in the future.  :)

                               -Dave