[LLVMdev] llvm-gcc-4.2-2.5 fails to build from source on arm: MACHO_DYNAMIC_NO_PIC_P undeclared

Martin Guy martinwguy at gmail.com
Tue Aug 4 06:40:37 PDT 2009

On 8/4/09, Anton Korobeynikov <anton at korobeynikov.info> wrote:
> both ppc and arm were broken at the time for 2.5 release.
Ah, OK, thanks. That resolves my problem! :)

I've edited your remarks and appended them to the debian bug report,
which should solve the issue, see bugs.debian.org/539496

>  I would like to comment on some other bugs as well:
>  478535: there are no plans to support of legacy IBM S390 platform,
>  only 64 bit one (that's s390x in tartget triple). The current plans
>  are to use clang only, not llvm-gcc, however I might be able to find
>  few hours to give llvm-gcc a try.
>  539496: There are no plans to support ARMv4 in LLVM. As for ToT ARM
>  builds of llvm-gcc (both for bare-metal arm-elf and normal
>  arm-none-linux-gnueabi triples) is broken due to two PRs: 4680, 4681
>  511721: I believe it should be fixed on ToT.
>  518592: Sounds like compiler / linker problem, it's not LLVM related at all

Thanks. I've forwarded these comments to the bug tracker.
In general. anyone can add comments to Debian bug reports simply by
sending email to 478535 at bugs.debian.org or whatever

With respect to 539496, yes, all major distributions are moving to ARM
EABI, for which the minimum architecture is armv4t, while armv4 is
becoming rare.
But if you also mean "no plans to support ARMv4t", I would say that it
is currently very common in small devices where a compiler with a
small memory requirement and producing compact object code is most
valuable. Exmples: the openmoko linux phone and the many single-board
ARM computers currently on the market.
The only incompatability that ARMv5t causes is the extra
count-leading-zeros instruction, which is seldom useful to a compiler
except in asm code for division - a small gain - so I would urge LLVM
to continue support for ARMv4t unless there are compelling reasons not
to do so.
But I may have misunderstood you.

Re: resources, there is a 600MHz 512MB ARM (v5t) here, as well as a
little armv4t board, which are on 24/7 and which I am happy for people
to use over ssh to debug arm and arm-eabi issues. If that would be
useful to anyone, just send mail privately suggesting a username

Thanks again