[LLVMdev] "masm syntax" for X86 backend

David Greene dag at cray.com
Mon Aug 3 12:15:58 PDT 2009

On Monday 03 August 2009 14:04, Aaron Gray wrote:

> > > I already spoke to anton.  The MASM support is clearly broken, it
> > > generates .s files with typos for the directives and has other
> > > problems.  Anton thinks it should be removed.
> >
> > The reason is pretty simple: masm is too weak to support anything
> > non-trivial and unfortunatley there is no simple way to fix the stuff.
>
> The strainge thing is I believe VisualStudio can generate code through it
> !:)
>
> Anyway I agree cut it for now as it is non functonal.

I would really hesistate in removing this.  All of the Intel and AMD manuals
use this syntax.

Certainly the printer needs some work and I've actually got it on my TODO list
to look at it.  I won't be able to get to it for a while, though.

It's not a simple matter of deleting files, as all of the X86 .td files will
need to be changed as well.

Is there some excessive cost we're trying to get rid of?  What's wrong with
keeping it there?

                                      -Dave