[LLVMdev] Calling-convention lowering proposal

David Greene dag at cray.com
Wed Apr 29 08:39:43 PDT 2009

On Thursday 23 April 2009 22:09, Dan Gohman wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Attached is a patch which significantly reworks how calls, incoming
> arguments, and outgoing return values are lowered. It's a major change,
> affecting all targets, so I'm looking for feedback on the approach.

I don't have specific feedback on this patch but I do have feedback about how
we go about making these kinds of changing.

This patch changes the LLVM API.  We should have a process for deprecating
obsolete interfaces before removing them entirely.  It's a significant
maintenance headache to pull down a new release and fix all of the API
issues along with tracking down new bugs introduced.

I completely agree with the goals of this patch.  However, I would ask that we
deprecate the existing interfaces for 2.6 and then remove them in 2.7.  We
should add the new interfaces under a different name until 2.7 at which point
they will become default.

LLVM is getting significant 3rd-party use and we should figure out how to act
in a new way to better support our users.

                                                    -Dave