[LLVMdev] Building LLVM 2.5 on CENTOS 5.3

Sarah Thompson sarah at findatlantis.com
Tue Apr 28 15:45:45 PDT 2009

Hi Folks,

I'm having some difficulties getting LLVM to build and work correctly
on CENTOS 5.3. This is basically tracked down easily enough to CENTOS
using GCC 4.1.x by default, which is known-buggy and known not to work
with LLVM -- I was getting the well-known problem with aborts due to a
non-empty symbol table. I have installed the gcc43 package via yum
(I'm trying to stick to known packages because I need to roll this out
at some point), which installs a gcc43 executable. Is there any
configure magic available that will make it possible to get the LLVM
build system to pick up gcc43 rather than the default gcc? Symlinking
it didn't work, because I suspect it was still picking up the old
libraries and headers. This is preferable to requiring users to
significantly hack their environment.

Thanks,
Sarah Thompson
NASA Ames