[LLVMdev] Calling-convention lowering proposal

Dan Gohman gohman at apple.com
Sun Apr 26 17:54:40 PDT 2009

On Apr 24, 2009, at 11:49 AM, Anton Korobeynikov wrote:

> Hi, Dan
>
>> The goal of the patch is to eliminate a bunch of awkward code,
>> eliminate some unnecessary differences between targets, and to
>> facilitate future refactoring and feature work.
> I quickly looked over the patch and it seems to be a significant
> cleanup of all really ugly lowering code!
>
> Maybe it will be possible to provide some dummy implementation of
> LowerFormalArguments / LowerReturn (pass everything on stack, etc), so
> one willing to add new backend won't need to implement such complex
> piece of code as a first step?

My goal is for the CallingConvLowering code to eventually take over
most, if not all, of the work for these hooks.  Then, someone writing
a new target could just add a simple CallingConv that just does
CCAssignToStack for everything as a first step.

I don't know when that might happen, but with this patch it's a little
easier to think about.

Dan