[LLVMdev] m68k backend

Kenneth Waters kwwaters at gmail.com
Fri Apr 24 22:13:55 PDT 2009

I have a few weeks of downtime between jobs coming up and I was considering
trying to put together a m68k backend for LLVM.  I have some experience with
compiler front ends; I've maintained a couple of DSL implementations in the
past, but I have relativly little knowledge of code generation.  I know that
there have been a few attempts in the past, but I cannot find any evidence
that they made it very far.

I wanted to ask the LLVM community if there was a working m68k backend.  I
don't want to spend too much effort replicating others work.

I only have three or four weeks of time to try and get an implementation off
the ground.  I wanted to know if that was a reasonable amount of time to get
something working.  I've been looking at the existing LLVM backends and it
seems that possible.

Thank you for you time,
-- Kenneth Waters