[LLVMdev] Accessing instruction/operand names

Anthony Danalis adanalis at eecs.utk.edu
Wed Apr 15 07:33:28 PDT 2009

James, the "variables" %number don't really exist in the IR, they are
there for the textual representation. In memory all you've got is
interconnected Value objects.
To understand this, imagine you have the following code:
%3 = add i32 %2, %1
%5 = add i32 %3, %2
and you have a pointer to the Value that holds the "%5 = ..." add
instruction.  Now, if you call getOperand(0) on it, it will not return
a "variable" named %3, it will return another Value, which will be the
Instruction "add i32 %2, %1"

However, if you're trying to do what I think you are, you can write a
recursive function exprToString()
that keeps following the pointers up the tree until it hits a
constant, or a function call, or a named variable and rebuilds the
expressions in a human readable way.

Anthony