[LLVMdev] Math Library Intrinsics as native intrinsics

Villmow, Micah Micah.Villmow at amd.com
Tue Apr 14 12:45:21 PDT 2009

Fair enough,
 The current issue that I am having with my backend and the language I
have to support via LLVM is that:
1) I need to support a large number of math functions as language
built-in and not as a separate library. These functions are part of the
core language and thus must be supported on a wide-variety of data types
with very specific rules and definitions for each function, which in
some cases differ to the definition that llvm gives to the same function
name. There are 165 math/integer/relational/geometric specific functions
in section 6.11 of the OpenCL spec, http://www.khronos.org/registry/cl/
when counting for signed/unsigned/floating point variants for some
functions.
2) AMD needs to support these on both GPU and CPU backends so pushing
them to a uniform section is highly desired so we don't have to
duplicate work. Some of these functions are native instructions on the
GPU in either scalar or vector formats but not on the CPU, or vice
versa.
3) The OpenCL language requires scalar and vector versions up to 16
elements for 8/16/32 bit data types and 8 elements for 64bit data types.
Implementing all of these combinations is an immense amount of work and
this is greatly simplified by utilizing the Legalize/Combine
infrastructure already in place to reduce all the vector types to the
scalar versions.
4) GPU's do not have real support for loading of libraries, so expanding
to a library function approach would not be feasible and this approach
looses the flexibility of the Legalize/Combine infrastructure which as
mentioned earlier is highly desired.

Some of the benefits of doing this would be that LLVM would then have
the beginnings of a large built-in reference math library based on, but
not limited to, the OpenCL 1.0 spec. This would allow AMD and possibly
other vendors to utilize this work on various backends without having to
duplicate work. This is work that I am doing internally at AMD anyways,
so for LLVM it will hopefully require minimal work.

Some of the drawbacks is the large amount of instructions that will be
added might require refactoring parts of the codebase and a large amount
of initial changes to update all the code. Also, there are different
definitions for certain functions compared to the current intrinsic,
where round being one, max/fmax being another, that might cause initial
instruction duplication.

Hope this helps clear up the problem I am approaching. This solution
does not remove the ability of using a math library as the functions can
always be expanded to a function call, but allows usage of LLVM
infrastructure with the math library more easily.

Micah