[LLVMdev] advice on default options for building LLVM-GCC on Ubuntu Linux

Duncan Sands baldrick at free.fr
Tue Apr 7 00:38:47 PDT 2009

Hi Bill,

> We use GNUmakefile to trigger using the build_gcc script.

thanks for the explanation, but I still don't understand why
it is done this way.  Why not just get Apple people to run some
script, rather than trying to have "make" automagically do an
Apple build?

> It's not
> ideal, but it's all we have at the moment. For LLVM, we placed those
> files in a subdirectory. This isn't ideal because of our build
> processes, but was better than the alternative. We would *really*
> prefer not doing the same thing to LLVM-GCC. Because we've been
> building LLVM-GCC with srcdir != objdir for years now, it shouldn't be
> too much of a burden. . .
>
>  From what I understand, FSF GCC doesn't recommend building with
> srcdir == objdir. Not that this necessarily means much to us, but
> should indicate that it's not entirely out of the ordinary that we
> require srcdir != objdir for LLVM-GCC. :-)

Newcomers to llvm-gcc regularly try to build with srcdir == objdir.
Some of them come on irc and ask about why it fails, but probably
most of them just give up on llvm-gcc.

Ciao,

Duncan.