[LLVMdev] Makefile Problem?

David Greene dag at cray.com
Mon Apr 6 09:06:15 PDT 2009

I'm seeing the following when configuring llvm to point to llvm-gcc-4.2 and
then run a "make clean."  This is building llvm in a separate object directory
than the source:

% ../src/configure
--prefix=/tmp/ptmp/dag/buildbot/slaves/llvm-validate/llvm-validate-debug-egypt-linux/build/install
--with-llvmgccdir=/tmp/ptmp/dag/buildbot/slaves/llvm-validate/llvm-validate-debug-egypt-linux/build/install
--disable-optimized --enable-assertions --disable-expensive-checks

% /bin/sh -c

[...]
make[2]: Leaving directory
`/tmp/ptmp/dag/buildbot/slaves/llvm-validate/llvm-validate-debug-egypt-linux/build/llvm-final/obj/examples'
make[2]: Entering directory
`/tmp/ptmp/dag/buildbot/slaves/llvm-validate/llvm-validate-debug-egypt-linux/build/llvm-final/obj/projects'
Makefile:18: Makefile.programs: No such file or directory
make[2]: *** No rule to make target `Makefile.programs'.  Stop.
make[2]: Leaving directory
`/tmp/ptmp/dag/buildbot/slaves/llvm-validate/llvm-validate-debug-egypt-linux/build/llvm-final/obj/projects'
make[1]: *** [clean] Error 1

There's a Makefile.programs in the source directory but I guess the configure
script doesn't copy it to the build location.  Should this be fixed in
configure.ac or in the Makefile to point to Makefile.programs in the source
tree?

                                                -Dave