[LLVMdev] advice on default options for building LLVM-GCC on Ubuntu Linux

Duncan Sands baldrick at free.fr
Sun Apr 5 07:13:05 PDT 2009

On Saturday 04 April 2009 19:12:55 Mike Stump wrote:
> On Apr 4, 2009, at 6:17 AM, Duncan Sands wrote:
> > you need to use a separate objects directory and not build directly
> > in the llvm-gcc tree.  For some reason the Apple people placed a file
> > GNUmakefile in the tree which "make" chooses in preference to the
> > Makefile
> > produced by configuring.  Personally I would like to see GNUmakefile
> > deleted.
>
> My take, you can test an environment variable called RC_RELEASE in the
> GNUmakefile and use it, if set, and if it isn't set, include Makefile
> and use it in preference.  Oh course, this is untested, someone would
> have to test it in all three environments.

Non-apple people build from svn too, not just releases.  My take is that
Apple should have their own build script which passes "make" whichever file
they want to use as the makefile, so then it doesn't need a special name
like GNUmakefile.  Actually, doesn't Apple use a build script already?

Ciao,

Duncan.