[LLVMdev] Architecture Dependency of LLVM bitcode (was Re: compile linux kernel)

Sherief N. Farouk sherief at mganin.com
Mon Sep 29 14:12:54 PDT 2008

> The issues with architecture dependency are far broader than byte order.
> LLVM in its current form is simply not intended to be machine neutral.
> Quite the contrary: it is heavily machine dependent!

I wasn't suggesting this to make LLVM able to compile architecture-neutral
kernels or the such. While I disagree with the machine-dependent statement,
my suggestion was just proposed in response to the following: " hton and
ntoh intrinsics.  These are needed to allow target code to deal with
endianness in a target independent way.". I just based it on how I try to
write endianness-neutral code in C++ even when dealing with endian-dependent
binary formats.

- Sherief