[LLVMdev] Unwinds Gone Wild

Matt Giuca mattgiuca at gmail.com
Mon Sep 29 05:58:32 PDT 2008

Duncan Sands wrote:

> since libgcc is available everywhere llvm is, it's as multi-platform
> as llvm!  If we didn't use libgcc then we'd have to introduce an llvm
> runtime library.  Since it would just duplicate the functionality of
> libgcc, it would introduce an additional maintenance burden without
> bringing any real advantage AFAICS.

So if there's to be a dependency on libgcc anyway, why not (at least for the
time being) have the unwind instruction simply compile into a call to
__cxa_throw or whatever libgcc-based mechanism you're thinking of. (Surely
there's some boilerplate code to make this work, assuming libgcc is
available?) It would be better than compiling to nothing, as it does now.

(Though maybe I'm not understanding the complexity of what's involved; it
sounds to me like you're just calling a library function).

Thanks for all the helpful responses, devs.