[LLVMdev] LLVM and dynamic binary translator

Anton Korobeynikov asl at math.spbu.ru
Mon Sep 29 03:49:14 PDT 2008

Hello,

> 1. Can LLVM be used in a dynamic binary translator? Dynamic translator translators target
code for an architecture (say PPC) to host code (say x86) and execute it.
Yes, see llvm-qemu project (2007 GSoC).

> 2. Can LLVM understand disassembled target code and generate optimized host code?
No, it's not a job of LLVM. You have to convert binary code for your platform into LLVM IR by
yourself.

> 4. How complex the task would be? (any idea!!)
It depends, how complex and insane your source platform, how you will use produced code,
etc. In any way, I don't see generic way to do so 'statically', only via execution (think about
indirect/computed jumps, for example).

--
WBR, Anton Korobeynikov