[LLVMdev] Integer questions

OvermindDL1 overminddl1 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 8 16:30:25 PDT 2008

> The Verifier pass is recommended; it catches a lot of
> invalid stuff and be configured to abort, print an error to
> stderr, or return an error status and message string.
>
> It doesn't catch everything though; codegen's error
> handling today is usually an assertion failure, assuming
> assertions are enabled.

Was looking through some other code in LLVM, I noticed an abort(), how
often do those occur as they would be *really* bad to occur in my
circumstances (the couple I saw were in the JIT class) as catching the
abort signal may not always be possible depending on the hosts code.

Will the verifier catch things like integers that are too big for the
platform that I am currently on, or will that be done by something
like the JIT when it compiles it?

And yea, assertions are a very large "no" in this library, especially
since bad code will probably happen very often (it is effectively a
scripting language, will load, compile, and run code at run time, I do
expect to write out things to a cache to help future loading time
though, time is not really an issue during loading, but there may be a
potentially massive amount of code later on, so better safe then
sorry, not to mention that code speed during execution needs to be as
fast as possible, the normal scripting languages out are no where near
fast enough according to tests, at least the ones that are capable of
continuations)

Which brings me to something else, I will create a new thread due to
the massive topic change...