[LLVMdev] llvm profiling

Jeff Yeong-Peng Hao jeffhao at umich.edu
Thu Oct 16 09:57:00 PDT 2008

I'd like to get some runtime profile data on my code using LLVM.  The
various -insert-X-profiling passes seem to add the profiling
instrumentation to the code, but how do I actually generate profiling
output?

It seems like utils/profile.pl can do this, but it uses profile_rt.so
which doesn't exist.  I can manually compile the runtime directory
using make install-bytecode, but it doesn't generate the necessary
file either.  I'm wondering why the root makefile doesn't even compile
the runtime directory to begin with.  Is there another way to go about
this?

I'm using llvm-2.3 and llvm-gcc-4.2.1.

Jeff