[LLVMdev] Making GEP into vector illegal?

Mon Ping Wang monping at apple.com
Tue Oct 14 09:50:54 PDT 2008

Hi,

I ran into a case where ScalarReplAggregates can not promote an array
of vectors into registers, e..g,
   	%a = alloca [8 x <2 x float>], align 8
         %arrayidx74597 = getelementptr [8 x <2 x float>]* %a, i32 0,
i32 1, i32 0		; <float*> [#uses=2]
	%tmp76 = load float* %arrayidx74597, align 8
         %arrayidx74598 = getelementptr [8 x <2 x float>]* %a, i32 0,
i32 1, i32 1		; <float*> [#uses=2]
	%tmp77 = load float* %arrayidx74598, align 4

Though we could change the algorithm to look through the vector index,
it lead to an interesting question about if we should allow a
getelementptr (GEP) into a vector.

A vector is not like an short array of elements.  It is more of an
entity in itself.  When dealing with vectors, it seems to me that it
is  cleaner to think of them as an entity and GEP to the vector and
then use extract element to access the element of the vector instead
of using a GEP to get a pointer into a vector and loading it
directly.  If a client wants to do this, it would seem cleaner to
force the client to bitcast it to an array and then do a GEP to the
element.  This would it more similar to what clients have to do to get
to a pointer to a byte in a word today.  For ScalarReplAggr, we would
want to promote the vector itself and not to treat it as promoting the
float elements.

I would like to make it illegal to GEP into a vector as I think it is
cleaner and more consistent.  Opinions?  Comments?

   -- Mon Ping