[LLVMdev] (Function) attributes documentation

Matthijs Kooijman matthijs at stdin.nl
Tue Oct 7 03:12:19 PDT 2008

Hi Devang,

the improvements you made are good, I think the docs are a lot clearer now. I
stil have a few more points, though.

> > * The section "Functions" in the LangRef has a large textual  description
> > about how it should look, but no definition of syntax, or even a few
> > examples of the syntax. This makes it very hard to read.
>
> This description provides links for each item. Do you think we need an
> example here?

I would add a syntax "specification", just as with the "alias" section below.
This makes it a lot easier to look up something. In addition, it would not
hurt to include one or two actual examples as well.

> > * The section about the call and invoke instructions do not mention  any
> > attributes at all.
>
> Fixed
The description now mentions function attributes, but the syntax spec doesn't.

Additionally, the description uses "function args", whereas the syntax spec uses
"param list". I think that using "arguments" is more correct than "parameters"
for the call instruction [1], though the source (llvmParser.y) also uses these
the wrong way around AFAICS.

This argument list is not so well specified, however. In particular, it is not
so clear if you are allowed (or required?) to specify parameter attributes in
the call instruction. From the parser and the examples I can see that it is
allowed, but I'm rather curious for the semantics here. Can they override
attributes on a declaration, or augment them, or?

These points are again for the call and invoke instructions.

Gr.

Matthijs

[1]: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parameter_(computer_science)