[LLVMdev] Practical --enable-shared LLVM builds.

Dan Villiom Podlaski Christiansen danchr at gmail.com
Fri Nov 14 01:35:21 PST 2008

On 12 Nov 2008, at 22:58, Óscar Fuentes wrote:

>   Thinking as a LLVM user, are shared libraries interesting to you? If
>   the answer is yes, is the one-big-dll mentioned above useful to you?

For me, the main motivation for building LLVM as shared libraries was
disk footprint. LLVM built statically is 84 megabytes, whereas a
shared build is 48 megabytes, both installed.

It might be worthwhile to reduce the number of distinct libraries. For
what it's worth, I had to merge the JIT and Interpreter libraries into
ExecutionEngine to avoid circular references. A similar approach (but
done in a cleaner way) could be used for other components.

--

Dan Villiom Podlaski Christiansen, stud. scient.
danchr at gmail.com