[LLVMdev] Validating LLVM

David Greene dag at cray.com
Wed Nov 12 15:08:06 PST 2008

On Wednesday 12 November 2008 11:54, Devang Patel wrote:
> On Nov 11, 2008, at 10:33 PM, Bill Wendling wrote:
> > * Regression Tests - This catches obvious errors, but not major ones.
> > * Full Bootstrap of LLVM-GCC - LLVM-GCC is a complex program. It's our
> > second indication if something has gone horribly awry.
> > * Nightly Testsuite - A very good suite of tests; much more extensive
> > than a simple bootstrap.
> > * LLVM-GCC Testsuite - Many thousands of great tests to test the many
> > facets of the compiler. WAY too few people run these.
>
> I'd add one more item here,
>
> * Nightly Testsuite run using llvm-gcc built llvm! If, LLVM-GCC is a
> complex C program then LLVM is a complex C++ program whose correctness
> can be validated using such test suite runs.

That's not a bad idea.  To be absolutely totally complete we'd want to do a
third llvm build with an llvm-gcc linked with an llvm-gcc-built llvm.
Think the gcc bootstrap applied to LLVM.  But without infrastructure to
compare object files, I'm not sure how useful this is.

I think these are things that can be added incrementally.  My goal is to get
something going soon and enhance it as we go.

                                                -Dave