[LLVMdev] Question about SPARC target status

Luke K. Dalessandro luked at cs.rochester.edu
Tue Nov 11 08:17:07 PST 2008

On Tue, 11 Nov 2008, Peter Shugalev wrote:

> Anton Korobeynikov wrote:
>> And fix 32 bit ones :) Mostly byval stuff + FP arguments.
>
> How serious these bugs are? Any link to bug descriptions? Is LLVM sparc
> target usable and stable in case of not using any FP stuff?

There are usually two levels of translation that go on. First, your C/C++
code is compiled to LLVM IR using llvm-gcc. Then, LLVM generates SPARC
assembly from the LLVM IR.

llvm-gcc isn't prepared to compile for a SPARC target. This includes lack
of complete FP support, and no implementation of the SPARC ABI which means
that function arguments aren't passed correctly and you probably can't
call any precompiled code that assumes the SPARC ABI. I will be working on
fixing this for sparc-solaris, but not sparc64.

LLVM code generation doesn't appear to correctly implement atomic
builtins, but that should be a trivial thing to fix (so they tell me).

-Luke