[LLVMdev] Validating LLVM

Mike Stump mrs at apple.com
Mon Nov 10 17:11:02 PST 2008

On Nov 10, 2008, at 12:59 PM, David Greene wrote:
> I've written up a detailed proposal and attached it to this message.

Yeah, mirrors in many ways something I've thought about for a while
now.  Roughly, cron (or while :; do) testers that figure out quality
and create tags when that quality is met.  Release branching can then
just happen from the `prerelease' tag, and largely start from a known
good quality.  People can the figure out what naming scheme they want
and which tests they want to run, and contribute by testing and
creating tags.  The existance of specific combinations of tags at the
same versions can be used to create rollup tags.  One can imagine a C
on x86 tag, a C++ on x86_64 tag, a llvm-gcc on mips tag and so on.
Though, in my version, I would have the cron job move forward their
tag so that developers have a stable tag to select, if they just want
say C on ppc.

If someone wanted to play on sparc (to pick a less well maintained
port that at the top, might not work, but did at some point in time,
they could start with the C on sparc tag and reproduce that working.
They wouldn't have to guess if it builds or not, they'd just know it
should (given then definition of the tag).

The prerelease tag could be comprised of the mips tag, the x86 tag,
the llvm x86 tag, ....

One could even include things like the freebsd world build and boot
and self vaildate tag.  Might take a few days to run, but, doing this
to feed into a preleasse style tag might be nice.

I don't know just how useful this would be.